Get Ready, Get Set, Transform!
On Sept. 3, the Erie community received incredible news with far-reaching, transformational implications.
The news? The establishment of Magee-Womens Research Institute (MWRI) in Erie. This is the first-ever expansion of MWRI, a prestigious Pittsburgh-based facility dedicated to research focused on the health of women and infants. The largest of its kind in the United States, MWRI is now expanding to Erie!
What does this news mean for Erie? A positive rippling effect in local health care, the economy, and academia.
What does this news mean globally? Advancements in the health of women and infants as a result of intensive research conducted right here in Erie, Pennsylvania.
Seven Key Takeaways From the MWRI Erie Announcement
- A $26 million investment into Erie, as a result of this project and including a $5 million commitment from Hamot Health Foundation, is expected to create a new sector in the Erie economy. The region can look forward to an infusion of new jobs and federally funded research dollars.
- A $6 million grant from The Erie Community Foundation to Hamot Health Foundation in support of the project represents the largest grant award in the ECF’s 84-year history. Five million dollars has also been pledged by each of the following: HHF, UPMC, MWRI, and Penn State Behrend.
- The initial location of MWRI Erie will be Magee-Womens, UPMC Hamot. Additionally, an important component of the project is a biomedical commercialization and translational research lab, which will be housed at Penn State Behrend’s Knowledge Park.
- Penn State Behrend is developing new academic programs in biomedical engineering, biochemistry, and bioinformatics to support MWRI Erie.
- Local rates of ovarian, breast, and lung cancers in women are above state and national averages. Genomic studies and clinical trials involving generations of local women will help unravel the medical mysteries behind these statistics and steer us toward solutions.
- A research facility of such renown is expected to attract top physicians, adding yet another layer of preferred health care for our region.
- Since the major announcement of MWRI Erie was made on Sept. 3, HHF has received countless messages of support and enthusiasm from throughout the region and beyond!